Each semester there are hundreds of UD students and researchers who work in the ELC. The ELC provides research and clinical/practicum opportunities to more than fifteen departments at the University of Delaware, including Human Development and Family Studies, Education, Psychology, Physical Therapy, Nursing, Health & Exercise Sciences, Foreign Languages, Biology, English, Music, Agriculture, Disabilities Studies, Communications, Hotel & Restaurant Management, and Nutrition.
- The Early Learning Center is a focal point for interdisciplinary research on early learning and development, prevention, intervention and education. Many research activities take place at the Early Learning Center that increase our understanding of how children grow, learn, and interact and how children and their families are best supported.
- Researchers at the ELC have measured children’s development over time, observed children’s interactions with toys, activities, and other children, and audio- and video-taped children’s activities. Other researchers have asked families to complete questionnaires about their backgrounds and their views of children and child-rearing. Teachers and other staff are also asked about their views of children, the activities that take place at the ELC, and how effective they think services are for children and their families.
All research activities at the ELC are reviewed and approved by both the ELC’s Research Committee and the University of Delaware’s Institutional Review Board.
Recently Explored Research Topics
- Supporting emerging literacy
- Children’s emotional responses to music
- Teachers as curriculum-makers
- How children learn to speak and understand what others say
- Kindergarten technology integration, developmental changes in emotional knowledge
- Teaching and learning emotional competence
- Children’s stress response to new situations and challenging tasks
- Infant’s understanding of space and movement
- Children’s social-emotional behaviors
For a description of recent research, visit our Research Projects page.