Conducting Research at the ELC
First and foremost, thank you for your interest in wanting to conduct your research at the Early Learning Center.
We take great pride in the research conducted at our centers and for that reason each project application is reviewed extensively by the Center’s Research Committee and the University’s Institutional Review Board (IRB).
The ELC and the UD IRB have created a strong partnership in order to make your application process as straightforward as possible, but should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the ELC’s Clinical Placement and Research Coordinator, Brittany Platzke
Steps to conduct research at the ELC:
PRIOR to submitting your IRB application:
- Complete the ELC Research Project Application Form and return to Brittany Platzke for review.
- This application serves as a way to justify access to the Early Learning Center and explaining the context of the study including the impact on children, families, ELC staff.
- Once you have received approval to write the ELC into your IRB protocol, the ELC will provide you language regarding formal consent depending on whether or not your study falls under the scope the ELC research consent, or if your research will require families to sign a subsequent consent form. The UD IRB will be looking for this language as part of their review process to ensure commitment from the ELC to host your research in our Centers.
- You will need to upload a copy of your ELC Research Project Application, that has been signed by and ELC Administrator, in order for IRB to approve your protocol.
- At any point, the application may be refused, returned for revisions or to provide further clarification about the proposed activities.
Once you have IRB approval for your research project:
- You will need to send a copy of your IRB Approved Protocol to Brittany Platzke, along with the following items:
- Proposed start date for research at the ELC
- Participant specifications (e.g., monolingual 4 year olds, infants who can crawl, etc)
- List of research staff who will be conducting visits at the ELC, as well as the following documents for each research staff: