The ELC provides research and clinical/practicum opportunities to several interdisciplinary departments such as Human Development and Family Sciences, School of Education, Physical Therapy, Nutrition and Nursing.
- The Early Learning Center is a focal point for interdisciplinary research on early learning and development, prevention, intervention and education. Many research activities take place at the Early Learning Center that increase our understanding of how children grow, learn, and interact and how children and their families are best supported.
- Researchers at the ELC have measured children’s development over time, observed children’s interactions with toys, activities, and other children, and audio- and video-taped children’s activities. Other researchers have asked families to complete questionnaires about their backgrounds and their views of children and child-rearing. Teachers and other staff are also asked about their views of children, the activities that take place at the ELC, and how effective they think services are for children and their families.
All research activities at the ELC are reviewed and approved by both the ELC’s Research Committee and the University of Delaware’s Institutional Review Board.
Recently Explored Research Topics
- Language and Cognition
- Feeding Study
- Spatial Instruction in Preschool
- Language Development in Toddlers
- Spatial Cognition in Children
- Language and Categorization in Children
For a description of recent research, visit our Research Projects page.