Providing a Safe Environment
- Entering and Exiting the Building: Families and other authorized individuals are required to enter and exit our building through the front doors only.
- Signing Children In & Out: You must escort your child to/from the classroom and sign him/her out of the building so we know exactly who is in the building in the event of an emergency.
- Picking Up Children: Only persons authorized by families will be able to pick up a child from the ELC. Authorized persons must be a minimum of 18 years old and will be asked to present identification.
- Surveillance Features: The ELC is equipped with security cameras both inside the building and outside.
- Ability to Observe: There are cameras, microphones and observation booths overlooking all spaces used by children at the ELC Newark and interior windows have been installed throughout the building to increase visibility.
- All ELC staff and researchers are identified by a badge. University students also wear identification.
- All full time ELC staff are required to have training in first aid, CPR/AED, blood borne pathogens, and the operation of a fire extinguisher.
- Before working with children, all staff must have a criminal background check, including a child abuse registry check and adult abuse registry check. In addition, all staff are required to have a periodic health exam and TB test.
- Separate playgrounds are available for each age group and are equipped with age appropriate equipment set into a resilient material. Six foot fencing surrounds the perimeter of the playground.
- Classrooms are equipped with age appropriate furniture, toys and equipment, as well as safety outlets throughout the room, and finger guards on bathroom doors. Infant rooms have diffused lighting to protect developing eyes.
- Smoke, sprinkler and fire alarm systems throughout the building.